top of page

Animal Concerns

We get many messages and emails of concern regarding animals people are concerned about - in many cases we cannot act without authorisation.

Most messages are regarding horses or ponies people are worried about and we share your concerns. Our most common advice is to report the animals to the local council's animal welfare office. They are responsible for the welfare of domestic pets, including horses and non-farmed animals.

We've included a list of numbers, website links and email addresses of the council welfare areas.

If you have concerns and need advice please email the team at and we will do our best to help you and the animal.

Animal welfare - local councils

Contact your local council if you are concerned about the welfare of domestic pets, including horses, and non-farmed animals.

Belfast City Council phone: 028 9027 0431

Eastern region This region covers Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council; and Ards and North Down District Council.

phone: 028 92447861

Northern region This region covers Mid and East Antrim District Council; Causeway Coast and Glens District Council; and Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council.

phone: 028 2563 3134

Southern region This region covers Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council; and Newry, Mourne and Down District Council.

phone: 028 3751 5800

Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon website: Animal Welfare(external link opens in a new window / tab)

Western region This region covers Fermanagh and Omagh District Council; Derry City and Strabane District Council; and Mid Ulster District Council.

phone: 028 8225 6226

Office hours and emergencies Note that all emails sent to the above email addresses will only be responded to during office hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (excluding public and bank holidays). For emergency welfare cases out-of-hours, call the numbers above and you will be directed to the out-of-hours service.


135 views0 comments


bottom of page